My summer skincare routine was created via trial and error like most. Over time, I’ve learned how to take care of my skin and it’s been pretty consistent, even with things like early on puberty and later on pregnancy. Just paying more attention to what it needs has helped me thus far. In the last year, my skin’s needs have changed dramatically and nowadays, there’s a little more that goes into the routine of caring for my aging skin. Let’s break down what I’m doing right now for my summer skincare.
-Morning Skincare Routine-
- Using only water, I wash my face and pat dry! That’s it…I personally love the oil that builds up overnight creating a natural moisturizer before products. Try it!
- I then apply serum, No Reason to Hide-Philosophy it’s so amazing with my skin! After using this for about a month, makeup less looks are possible and I feel more confident exposed with a smooth and less blotchy face. I love makeup but I don’t want to feel like I have to wear it to cover something up! I’m getting older and do not have time for all of that everyday!
- Here comes my makeup base and what I have recently discovered and love is Vitamin Enriched Face Base which is an oil-free face formula that feels moisturizing but not greasy. It is formulated with Shea butter, and my skin looks hydrated, smooth and ready for makeup or no makeup! This is a little pricey but it feels good for the skin and does what it says it will do!
- One of the most important pieces to my summer morning routine is my SPF moisturizer! What I currently use is Olay’s Complete All-Day UV Protection. This lightweight SPF 15 moisturizer has been my best friend since I was twelve! I always purchased it because it smelled good and it made me feel grown up to buy and use! No matter how much of this product I put on my face, it never feels greasy on the skin and that’s something I don’t want in the summer…a shiny face. It does its job, absorbing and leaving me with hydrated and UV protected skin. On my next beauty trip, I might look beyond my Olay and see what other moisturizers are out there, my concern is that the SPF 15 isn’t high enough, especially being in my thirties. I will update the results of my search at a later time.
- Last but not least part of my skincare is my diet and drinking my gallon of water a day (which is extremely hard!). Nothing keeps you youthful like taking care of yourself from within. I will say it again! Drink water!
-Nightime Skincare Routine-
- Makeup Removal! My current favorite is Elf’s Makeup Cleansing Wipes, they lightly exfoliate and cleanse. Oh, and they’re $3 cheap! For me, when I just wash, the feeling of oil from the makeup and product residue is still stuck to my face so a cleansing wipe first helps to start breaking down the products before washing.
- Next step is to wash my face using a mild cleanser and right now Giovanni D-Tox Purifying Facial Cleanser is getting the job done. The charcoal helps to dig deeper in my pores and remove dirt and oil. It works well, keeping my skin balanced and calm. In the pursuit to fight oil, a lot of us result to harsh cleansers or those that strip oil from the face. Later in the day, we end up having more oil than before and this is caused from drying the skin too much which produces more oil to combat the dryness. Listen to your skin! Products sound amazing with their selling points but you may not need all of that!
- Toner-Thayers Alcohol-free Toner Rose Petal Hazel is that last step clean and to balance my skin. Unlike most toners this doesn’t smell harsh with alcohol nor is it over-drying to my skin.
- Retinol-Philosophy’s Help Me I love this lightweight retinol! For my aging skin, it was recommended by a trusted dermatologist that I incorporate a retinol cream in my regimen to help delay the look of fine lines, to help clear my skin and show a more even skin tone. So far so good! No over-drying like most retinols I heard of and it doesn’t irritate my face, even with all the products used prior to applying.
- Next is my best friend, Olay Complete Moisturizer for sensitive skin. My concern at night is adding the retinol and not wanting to take away from its effectivenmess or cause a reaction with the multiple products. My moistirzer works like an ultimate partner with the other products I use in my regimen.
- Eye Cream-Bobbi Brown’s Hydrating Eye Cream-One of the tell-tell signs of aging is fine lines around the eyes! I don’t mind my lines too much because they are inevitable with my big smiles! What I’m trying to do is make them a bit softer by keeping this area which is prone to dryness, moisturized and hydrated.
- At a minimum of two nights a week I exfoliate my skin with facial scrub or brush. My favorite facial scrub at the moment is Peter Roth Thomas-FIRMx-Peeling Gel . First, this stuff is so cool! It took me a minute to appreciate the concept but my skin loves it! You apply and rub the dead skin away…it will literally fall in your sink! The look of it can be pretty gross but it gets the job done!
I hope you guys enjoyed the breakdown of my current skincare routine. I tweak it as my skins reacts. You have to switch it up because no matter how good the product, your skin can become immune to treatments. Drink you water (benefits mentioned here) and smile! Skin in your 30’s is the starting point to the sensitive stage but it’s not too late to start preventing any signs of aging!
What are some of your skin care secrets? What are you doing to fight aging? Share!
I can’t wait to hear from you!